Thursday, January 24, 2013

True Romance - A Movie Review

     My favorite movie of all time, hands down, is 'True Romance'.  This film, written by Quentin Tarantino and directed by the late Tony Scott, is a action movie/love story about an eccentric, possibly schizophrenic comic book store employee, Clarence, who sometimes speaks with Elvis in the bathroom bumping into Alabama, a call-girl who his boss has hired for him on his birthday.  A spilled bucket of popcorn and three kung-fu movies later, the new couple falls in love and gets married.  At this point Clarence decides to go to Alabama's pimps house to get her clothes and let Drexl, her pimp, know that she is married now and no longer works for him.  At this point Clarence comes into a suitcase full of cocaine and decides to sell it so that he and his new wife can begin their life together in Cancun.  Sound awesome?  It is.
    I found this movie late at night on HBO and happened to stop on it when I saw Quentin's name in the opening credits.  I stayed with it because it is a fabulously written, terrifically acted, and masterfully directed film.  I hadn't before and haven't since seen any movie like it or even on par with it.  I love Quentin's work, all of it, but 'True Romance' to me, is his finest film as far as writing and creativity go.  I will not ruin a bit of this movie for you but trust me, go buy it, and watch it right now.  You will love it.

No comments:

Post a Comment